Arabic-L:GEN:More on Translation Programs

Dilworth Parkinson Dilworth_Parkinson at byu.edu
Wed Dec 18 15:21:22 UTC 2002

1) Subject:More on Translation Programs
2) Subject:BYU clarification

Date:  18 Dec 2002
From: J Murgida <jmurg at ttlc.net>
Subject:More on Translation Programs

Hi Everyone,
There was a session on Arabic translation at the American Translators
Association conference in Atlanta, Georgia, last month. It included
presentations on dictionaries for translators, Arabic translation memory
software, and how to learn to translate Arabic>English.

I'm the one who talked about learning/studying A-E translation. Sattar
is
correct in that there is no certificate program, or translation degree
in
North America that offers Arabic<>English, as far as I know. There are
courses at various universities, however. The list I prepared for the
conference is below, with the addition of information just received on
the
U. Penn course.

At the ATA session someone from Brigham Young University said that
there are
such courses there, but I don't have the details. I hope one of our BYU
colleagues will post them.

Also, Georgetown U. is considering expanding the current one-course
offering
to a three-course sequence, and possibly a certificate, in
Arabic-into-English translation. I believe they are hoping to start
that in
the Fall 2003.

Anyone interested in joining a listserve devoted to Translation &
Interpretation of Middle East Languages (time-l), please contact:
Timothy
Gregory [tarjema at hotmail.com]; translators present at the conference
formed
an informal group and started this list. While it's open to discussion
of
other languages, so far we've been discussing Arabic.

I welcome additions to the list of courses. I know that the U. of
Arkansas
as some kind of literary translation program but don't have any details.

Best regards,
Jackie Murgida
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
  ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Arabic-English university translation courses in the U.S.

U. of Minnesota:
The Program in Translation and Interpreting (PTI) at the University of
Minnesota is planning an Arabic section of our introductory course in
translation during the spring 2003 semester, provided that there are a
minimum of four students interested in the course. Also, an intensive
two to
three week long course in intermediate level Arabic/English translation
is
scheduled for May Session, 2003. Interested individuals may e-mail us at
pti at umn.edu or send requests for information to:
	Program in Translation and Interpreting
	University of Minnesota
	ILES
	214 Nolte Center
	315 Pillsbury Drive S.E.
	Minneapolis, MN  55414

Georgetown University, Washington, D.C.
Currently offers a one-semester Arabic-into-English translation
workshop.
For information contact:

Brian McGrath
Dept. of Arabic Language, Literature and Linguistics
Georgetown University
37th & 'O' Sts., NW
ICC 306-F
P.O. Box 571046
Washington, DC  20057-1046
Phone:  202-687-5743
Fax:  202-687-2408
E-mail:  mcgrathb at georgetown.edu

This class will be offered on Wednesdays from 6:15-8:45 PM in ICC 208A,
beginning January 8, 2003.  The course is 3 credits.  To enroll,
students
should contact the Registrar's Office at:
202-687-4020.

University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia
[Information from Roger Allen about his seminar. I have heard that it is
very interesting and useful]:
My seminar is for PhD students and is concerned with translation of
literary
texts.  It begins with a heavy dose of translation theory, and then
proceeds
in
two-week sequences, via an initial analysis of works in specific
literary
genres that have been translated at least three times into English, to
actual
translation of a work in the same genre by the students.   The resulting
translated texts are circulated anonymously among the class (including,
at
times, my own!), and then discussed.  Because of the time factor, I
select
SHORT literary genres for analysis and then translation: the segments
are
modern poetry, modern short story, early poetry (mostly in the form of
the "qit`ah"), and short plays.  However, the semester/seminar project
with
which the course concludes is an extended work of translation.

   I offer the seminar whenever there is a large enough cohort of
graduate
students who have not taken it before (and who ask for it).