Arabic-L:GEN:More on Arabizing Windows 98

Dilworth Parkinson Dilworth_Parkinson at byu.edu
Wed Dec 18 15:18:48 UTC 2002

1) Subject:Arabizing Windows 98
2) Subject:Arabizing Windows 98 (AD)
3) Subject:Arabizing Windows 98--Diacritics query

Date:  18 Dec 2002
From: enm at umich.edu
Subject:Arabizing Windows 98

Paul Roochnik gave the following response to the problem of Arabizing
Windows 98:

> Gaye Price asked about doing Arabic on a PC with Win98.  To the best of
> my knowledge, you must install the Arabic-enabled version of Windows
> 98.
> After that, you should install the Arabic-enabled version of MS
> Office.
> That is the platform on which I worked for 4 years and it  served my
> Arabic processing needs quite well.  Now I am using Win2k-Pro  which
> requires no Arabization.  Either way is fine.  Cheers from Abu  Sammy.

I had the same problem with Windows 98, and eventually decided on
another solution: I bought Windows Office 2000; this alone can print
out Arabic as well as English--and other language scripts.  To be fully
truthful, I had to buy a new computer to be able to accommodate the
larger software.  I later downloaded free from Microsoft the file Ariel
Unicode MS which contains just about every language font you could want.

Good luck.
Ernest McCarus