Arabic-L:PEDA:Needs Quran Study software

Dilworth Parkinson Dilworth_Parkinson at byu.edu
Mon Dec 30 22:48:31 UTC 2002

1) Subject:Needs Quran Study software

Date:  30 Dec 2002
From: "Hutton, Rod" <rhutton at trinitylutheranseminary.edu>
Subject:Needs Quran Study software

[please respond directly to requester who is not a member of the list]

Dear Dr. Parkinson,

I was referred to you by a colleague in a quest for software realted to
the
study of the Quran.  In my study of the biblical material, I use a
program
entitled BibleWorks 5.0.  It provides an intensive grammatical analysis
of
every word, entries for every word from several major lexica, a complex
range of grammatical searches and concordance searches.  During my
sabbatical leave I am studying Arabic, to assist in my side-discipline
of
offering a course in Islam.  I am looking for a software program for the
study of the Quran analogous to the program I use for the critical
study of
the Bible.  I raised the issue with my online instructor, and she
referred
me to you in order to pose the question to the Arabic list that you
administer.  Can you indicate how I may join this list to pose the
question,
or do you yourself know of any such programs?  The only ones I've seen
are
simple programs that offer recitations of the Quran or aid in
memorization
of the Quran of offer a commentary and translation of the Quran.  I'm
looking for a grammatically intense program that I would anticipate
would
cost in the area of $200.  Most programs I see out there cost about $50
$70, and I doubt they do the job.  Thanks for any assistance you can
provide.
Dr. Rodney R. Hutton
Prof. of Old Testament/Hebrew Scriptures
Trinity Lutheran Seminary
Columbus, OH