Arabic-L:LING:Iraqi dialects query

Dilworth B. Parkinson Dilworth_Parkinson at byu.edu
Mon Feb 4 20:01:26 UTC 2002

1) Subject: Iraqi dialects query

Date:  04 Feb 2002
From: Antonio Caridad Salvador <acaridad at wanadoo.es>
Subject: Iraqi dialects query

I`m very interested in history of two arabic dialects: those of
Baghdad and Northern Mesopotamia (Mosul). Can anybody answer these
questions? do you know anybody that can help me?

My questions are:

- When did appear the first grammars and dictionaries of these
dialects? who wrote them?
- Which influences have received these dialects throughout its history?
- Does exist any literature in these dialects? when was written the first text?
- In which situations are used these dialects today? do they appear
in radio and TV? are they used by politicians in public meetings?
- Does exist any institution that promotes the use of these dialects?
- How did they develope? when did these dialects become the most
spoken variety in Mesopotamia?

If you can help me, I`d very glad. It`s very difficult to find
information about this subject.

Best wishes

Antonio Caridad