Arabic-L:Info on setting up IE 5 for Arabic

Dilworth B. Parkinson Dilworth_Parkinson at byu.edu
Mon Feb 4 20:03:55 UTC 2002

1) Subject: Info on setting up IE 5 for Arabic

Date:  04 Feb 2002
From: reposted from Arabic-Info
Subject: Info on setting up IE 5 for Arabic

[I assumed that some of you who are not subscribers to Arabic-Info
would be interested in this query and response about Arabic on IE 5]

From: Moufid Jibreen <moufid.jibreen at wcom.com>
Subject: Re: Query: Configuring Internet Explorer for reading Arabic

<Richard.Taylor at marquette.edu> wrote:

>Would someone be so kind as to point me to directions for configuring
>a Mac or Win version of Internet Explorer to be able to read Arabic
>websites on screen? I use a Mac but also have Virtual PC and so have
>Internet Explorer for both Mac and Win.

The following instructions are taken from Al-Jazeera web site

        http://www.aljazeera.net/help/arabic-instr-e.htm

I use the english version of Windows 95, and when I followed
these instructions, I was able to view most Arabic sites.
Occasionally, I run into a quirky site that I cannot read.

----

How to Read Arabic Text
Arabic pages in this site are presented as text , not images, In order
to view Arabic text you need to use the right combination of operating
system and internet browser.

Please read the following options and choose the one that suites you.

If you are using MS  Windows 95, 98 or 2000 [Arabic and non-Arabic
versions]:

Microsoft [Arabic] Internet Explorer 5.0 is the preferred choice for you
if you are looking for a smooth Arabic browsing on different versions of
Arabic and non-Arabic MS Windows. Currently our pages are designed to be
best viewed using this browser. We recommend that you keep watching
Microsoft Internet Explorer homepage to make sure that you have the
latest version of this browser.

IMPORTANT: Please read the following note to make sure that you install
the Arabic support correctly:

Steps to Add Arabic Text Display Support for Internet Explorer 5

If you are installing IE5 for the first time:

Please Choose Custom Setup, then follow steps from 7 to 9 below.

If you have IE5 already installed, please follow these steps:

1. From the Start menu chose Settings.
2. Select Control Panel
3. Select Add/Remove Programs
4. Select Microsoft Internet Explorer 5 and Internet Tools
5. Click Add/Remove Programs.
6. Check the "Add Component" radio button, then press OK.
7. Scroll until you find the "multi language support" option.
8. Check "Arabic text display support" , then press next
9. Press finish, then your computer will restart.

To smooth your screen fonts if you are running Explorer 4.0 or Later on
Windows 98 or later

1. Make sure that your display card is configured to use 64K colors
2. double click on my computer
3. choose view from the toolbar menu.
4. choose "folder Options..."
5. click on "view" tab.
6. Scroll down on the dialog box that will appear until you see a check
box with the label: smooth edges of screen fonts.
7. check this box.
8. Click OK.

If you are using MAC OS

Microsoft Internet Explorer can be used on Arabic Mac systems to view
our pages. visit http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie and download the
latest Mac version of the browser. Please note that this option was not
tested on most of the Mac versions.

If you are using UNIX

Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.0 is on option for this platform. Please
visit http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie and download the latest
browser available. This option has not been tested.

Why Arabic Text ?
Now you may ask: why do not you just display the Arabic pages in your
site as an images?.

The reasons are compelling:

Using text will help you copy and paste Arabic web content into your
documents.

You can search Arabic web pages for items you are looking for.

Printing text gives much better quality than images.

Finally, this is the natural way of doing things!.

  If you still need our help to read Arabic, please do not hesitate to
send to support at aljazeera.net