Arabic-L:LING:Coordination discussion

Dilworth B. Parkinson Dilworth_Parkinson at byu.edu
Wed Jan 9 23:42:11 UTC 2002

1) Subject: Coordination discussion

Date:  09 Jan 2002
From: "A. E." <aghamrawy13 at hotmail.com>
Subject: Coordination discussion

I haven't got the thread of emails regarding "EA Coordination
Discussion" from the beginning, but here is my two-penny response for
the last couple of emails.
First, "shaafu we heyya" is not a possible EA structure because the
conjuntion here is between an object pronoun and a subject pronoun
([u] in shaaf-u is the undergoer whereas "heyya is the pronoun
associated with the agent of the sentence).

I would agree with Aliaa on " shaaf-u wi shaaf-ha,"  where there are
two conjoined VP's, or "shaaf-hum, huwwa-w heyya" where the
conjunction is between two subject pronouns in an IP (inflectional
phrase) modifying  the object pronoun "hum."

As for Francisco's suggestions, they are very interesting. I'm
wondering whether  the classical structure "Shaaf-u wa iyyaaha" is
equivilant syntagmatically to the Egyptian slang "shaaf-u wayyaaha."
"wayyaaha" in Egyptian means "with her"- a PP modifying  the object
pronoun [u] (he saw [him with her]. But 'iyyaahaa in classical Arabic
is basically only the 3rd singular object pronoun [ha] without the
verb since the verb is shared between the two verb phrases. In other
words, "shaaf-u wa 'eyyaahaa" or better say "ra'aa-hu wa 'eyyaahaa"
is equivalent to "ra'aa-hu wa ra'aa-ha" in classical or "shaaf-u w
shaaf-ha" in EA, which doesn't necessarily have the same meaning as
"shaaf-u ma3aa-ha which means "shaaf-hum ma3a ba3d" (he saw them
together).

I hope I could make myself clear, and I would appreciate any feedback
if someone agrees/disagrees with me.

Ahmad Elghamrawy