Arabic-L:GEN:Font Restrictions

Dilworth Parkinson Dilworth_Parkinson at byu.edu
Wed Jul 3 22:42:38 UTC 2002

1) Subject:Font Restrictions

Date:  03 Jul 2002
From:Elizabeth J. Pyatt <ejp10 at psu.edu>
Subject:Font Restrictions

Hello:

I'm not a lawyer either, so that is why I would NOT modify and
distribute a preexisting font until I checked. You never know which
corporation could be maintaining someone on retainer to sic someone.

Copyright is truly a slippery beast which is why you can change a button
on a dress and not violate copyright, but can't distribute copies of an
out-of-print book without permission.

Anyhow, maybe these links can provides some help for someone

Typeface Protection - <http://cgm.cs.mcgill.ca/~luc/bigelow-
copyright.txt>
Cases involving font copyright -
<http://cgm.cs.mcgill.ca/~luc/legal.html>
Fontographer Support Center -
<http://www.macromedia.com/support/fontographer/>

But not being a lawyer myself I'm not 100% certain of the details. Are
you a lawyer with the required specialization in copyright?  Fair use is
a pretty complex area, not nearly as clear-cut as your remarks make it
sound.  Do you represent Microsoft?  If so I'd check with legal before
pronouncing on copyright law.  I would certainly appreciate correction
by competent legal opinion if I've gotten this all wrong.

Fair use is a wonderful thing, but it can only take you so far, even in
education.

Another view on the issue.

Elizabeth