film showing policy

Dilworth Parkinson Dilworth_Parkinson at byu.edu
Fri Jul 5 20:40:24 UTC 2002

To make you aware of a policay matter I recently learned about:

When a club associated with our department (Japan Club for example) wants to show a film, even if it is just a video, if it is only for entertainment, then we will owe money to the makers of the film.  The only way we can show it for free is:

1) if there is an educational purpuse;

and more importantly,

2) if we limit the showing to members of the club only.

This means that you can't really put signs up around campus inviting everyone to see your film.  You can only really invite members.  If you have questions about this, please see the University General Counsel, who will counsel you not to show films at all.

Dil