Arabic-L:PEDA:Algerian grad student wants advice

Dilworth Parkinson Dilworth_Parkinson at byu.edu
Mon Mar 18 23:17:50 UTC 2002

1) Subject:Algerian grad student wants advice

Date:  18 Mar 2002
From:ghounanib at yahoo.com
Subject:Algerian grad student wants advice

[please respond directly to the requester, not to the list]

Dear Sir,
                    I am a postgraduate student at
Mentouri University in Constantine,Algeria. I am a
native speaker of Arabic..I've a "BA" degree in
English.My intention is to work  within the scope of
contrastive analysis and error analysis. I haven't
limited my research topic yet ,but I want to make a
cotrastive study between Arabic and English taking
into account a specific aspect of the language that
may be the major cause of errors made by the Arab
translators or learners.We really  lack documents in
this field in Algeria.I've read the few references
that I have about "passivization" and "transitivity",
I haven't really noticed any difference between the
two languages(Arabic-English) concerning the two
aspects cited above.I don't know if the difference
really doesn't exist or I lack documents in this
domain .Word-order in the structure is also an aspect
that I also see worth debating.
          So could you please suggest anything that can
help me fullfil my dissertation or refer me to someone
of specialization?Thank you.

                               Yours faithfully,

                            Mr.Brahim GHOUNANI