Arabic-L:TRANS:Translate or Transliterate

Dilworth Parkinson Dilworth_Parkinson at byu.edu
Wed Mar 20 19:11:32 UTC 2002

1) Subject:Translate or Transliterate
2) Subject:Translate or Transliterate

Date:  20 Mar 2002
From:suma99 at att.net
Subject:Translate or Transliterate

Hi,
To answer your question about when to translate and when
to transliterate; what I do is when the phrase in
question is something generic I always translate, even
technical novelties. But when it is of something more
specific such as a title, brand, or logo, etc. I think
it's best to transliterate.
For example to translate FBI as you did it may refer to
an organiztion of US gov. or Brithish or French or any
other country. But when you hear FBI you always know
what is meant.