Arabic-L:LIT:Bruno Meissner query

Dilworth Parkinson Dilworth_Parkinson at byu.edu
Tue May 7 16:43:27 UTC 2002

1) Subject:Bruno Meissner query

Date:  07 May 2002
From:Srpko Lestaric <srpkole at EUnet.yu>
Subject:Bruno Meissner query

Hi all,

In order to make a suitable forword to my translation of that colorful
bundle of the so-called obscene tales in Bruno Meissner's (1868 - 1947)
Neuarabische Geschichten aus dem Iraq -- gesammelt, uebersetzt,
herausgegeben und mit einem erweitertern Glossar versehen. Leipzig,
1903, I am trying to gather some data on author.

Britannica says nothing. Nothing on Web either, acc. to my search, save
for a few book titles.

So, could anyone tell me (directly, if it'd be too heavy burdon to the
List):
1-Where and what Meissner studied? (He was asyrologist, well, but his
knowledge of the local contemporary Arabic dialect was obviously
profound.)
2-For how long Meissner stayed on digging in Babilon and in what year(s)
exactly (the time he has been compiling these anecdotes).
3-Has the compilation been translated to any other languages (having in
view that he himself supplied a pedant German translation, I'd bet on
French and Russian, but I'd need positive answers).
4-Meissner's whereabouts from the thirties on.
5-Author's photo (BMP or TIFF preferred) would do no harm.

TIA,
Srpko Lestaric

End of Arabic-L:  07 May 2002