Arabic-L:GEN:Linux/Unix Arabization

Dilworth Parkinson Dilworth_Parkinson at byu.edu
Tue May 7 16:43:24 UTC 2002

1) Subject:Linux/Unix Arabization

Date:  07 May 2002
From:John Eisele <jceise at wm.edu>
Subject:Linux/Unix Arabization

[message received by AATA and forwarded to list]

As a member of the www.Arabeyes.org project (a grass-roots, open
source, not-for-profit organization dedicated to the Arabization
of linux/unix in both translation as well as software development),
I'm curious to know if the American Association of Teachers
of Arabic (AATA) has any information or might itself posses
a word-list or dictionary (in raw format) that it would would
be willing to share with the open source community to further
along Arabic and propel its usage within computers.

We've created a web program named QaMoose, but lack a database
to offer our users - populating it by hand has proven to be
too difficult and too time consuming.  We are also working on
producing an open-source Arabic spell-checker named Duali and
there too we'd like to have a list of valid words (format and
content unknown at this point due to the early nature of the
project).

As we'd be unable to pay for your assistance, we nonetheless
would like to engage and discuss all possible options and what
would make sense under the open source umbrella.  We'd like to
know how best to proceed to ensure a mutually beneficial
cooperative relationship.

Best Regards and we look forward to hearing back from you.

 - Nadim

End of Arabic-L:  07 May 2002