Arabic-L:LING:e-chat transliteration

Dilworth Parkinson Dilworth_Parkinson at byu.edu
Wed May 8 14:49:05 UTC 2002

1) Subject:e-chat transliteration

Date:  08 May 2002
From:Sanaa Ghanem <sanaa at arabacademy.com>
Subject:e-chat transliteration

This transliteration is gaining in popularity to the extent that street
signs are starting to appear in Mohandisin, Cairo using it!  I would
like to stress that this is not an Egyptian transliteration but an Arab
one and is used by a number of Arab web sites.  The system is not fool
proof.  There is no distinction between short and long vowels.  No
distinction between siin and saad.  However, it is there to stay and it
has served to meet the needs of the youth who used the chatrooms to chat
in Arabic using Latin script.  We, at the Arab Academy, have chosen to
base our transcription on this new exciting one but adapt it to meet the
needs of our students.  We chose this system for 3 reasons:
1. It is already used, acclaimed and recognized by users who form the
majority of Internet Arab users, namely the youth.
2. It does not rely on special characters for all its characters are
found on the Arabic keyboard.
3. The resemblance between the choice of letters and the digit chosen to
represent it is quite interesting as well as that of the dot. 3 for 3ayn
and 3' for ghayn (the ' represents the dot).

To visit our system visit:
http://arabacademy.com/transcript_e.htm

Sanaa Ghanem
Arab Academy