Arabic-L:PEDA:Scholarships for Arabic Study query

Dilworth Parkinson Dilworth_Parkinson at byu.edu
Thu May 30 23:04:15 UTC 2002

1) Subject:Scholarships for Arabic Study query

Date:  30 May 2002
From:"Timothy A. Gregory" <tgregory at tarjema.com>
Subject:Scholarships for Arabic Study query

Greetings all,

I recently read an article in the Washington Post (online
version:http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-
dyn/articles/A18134-2002May27.html) and it brings to light a lot of
interesting facts about the study of Arabic within the United States.
The one fact that really sticks with me after reading through it was
from one of the bar charts, there are nearly five times as many students
studying Latin (26,145) as study Arabic (5,505)…

After talking with some of my colleagues I really got to wondering about
scholarships for studying Arabic within the US. Are there any such
things? I remember very vaguely someone going off to the University of
Washington on some sort of scholarship, but that was in 1990.

As always, thanks for your help!

--tag