Arabic-L:PEDA:Large Vocabulary responses

Dilworth Parkinson Dilworth_Parkinson at byu.edu
Thu Nov 21 16:22:23 UTC 2002

1) Subject:Large Vocabulary response
2) Subject:Large Vocabulary response
3) Subject:Large Vocabulary response
4) Subject:Large Vocabulary response

Date:  21 Nov 2002
From: "Schub, Michael" <michael.schub at trincoll.edu>
Subject:Large Vocabulary response

Dear Z,
       Please see "How Hard is Arabic?" by T. B. Irving in
*Modern Lang. Journal* 41:289--91 (1957); and the Introduction to
*A Word Count of Modern Arabic Prose* by J. M. Landau, NY (1959).  When
does a local foreign word assimilate into and become "Arabic?"
       A major difficulty for learning Arabic is the "D-word:"
DIGLOSSIA.
What is taught in *Al-Kitaab*, e.g., is really "Spoken Modern
Double-Standard Georgetown Arabic," having perhaps a distant
relationship
to Modern Literary Arabic."  (/antunna/ and /hunna/ forms don't deign to
appear.)
       Best wishes,
                                  Mike Schub