Arabic-L:PEDA:Translation in the classroom responses

Dilworth Parkinson Dilworth_Parkinson at byu.edu
Fri Oct 4 18:02:38 UTC 2002

1) Subject:Translation in the classroom response
2) Subject:Translation in the classroom response

Date:  04 Oct  2002
From: Bannous <bannous at sprynet.com>
Subject:Translation in the classroom response

I personally believe that translation could be used in the classroom
but solely for intermediate or advanced students as an enhancement
tool.
One of the biggest problems encountered in the language acquisition
process is the lack of dissociation between what I call the "English
brain" and the "Arabic brain".  No matter how minimal the existence of
the Arabic brain, it has to be stimulated and initiated properly for
the acquisition process to take place.  Most of the students think in
English and either write or speak in Arabic.  I believe, that the
student should learn to "think in Arabic", which seems to be
problematic in most cases and hard to define but not impossible to
achieve.  Translation could be an obstacle to the language acquisition
process because it hinders the growth of that "Arabic brain" but very
useful for fairly advanced students with the need for language tuning
or specialization.

Sincerely,

Dr. Hatem Bachar