Arabic-L:PEDA:Answers to newcomer questions

Dilworth Parkinson dilworth_parkinson at byu.edu
Mon Aug 4 20:26:59 UTC 2003

1) Subject:Answers to newcomer questions

Date: 04 Aug 2003
From: karmanal <karmanal at aucegypt.edu>
Subject:Answers to newcomer questions

Hi Alan,

The difference between Modern Standard Arabic and Egyptian Arabic, is
almost –
not quite – the same difference between British-English and
American-English,
just to have an idea. Egyptian Arabic has its own choice of words out
of the
many equivalencies in Modern Standard. It has also some loan-words out
of
European, Persian and Turkish language. It follows most of the grammar
rules
of the Modern Standard, softens some of them to make them easier. It
has its
own changes of vowels and stress in the words etc.
Egyptian Arabic is not the most widely spoken, we would need then
statistics.
However, it's most widely understood, as a result of the widely famous
and
beloved Egyptian movies, songs etc.

I don't know anything about Mac OS X. I use IBM, which has support for
Arabic
fonts. I personally prefer Word office 97.

Best wishes,
Dr.Manal Hassan
Egyptian
Instructor of Arabic for foreigners