Arabic-L:TRANS:al-aqrab bi-al-aqrab:a typo?

Dilworth Parkinson Dilworth_Parkinson at byu.edu
Wed Jan 15 23:49:24 UTC 2003

1) Subject:al-aqrab bi-al-aqrab:a typo?

Date:  15 Jan 2003
From: Tim Buckwalter <TimBuckwalter at earthlink.net>
Subject:al-aqrab bi-al-aqrab:a typo?

I wonder if the "bi-" in "al-aqrab bi-l-aqrab" is a typo (or dialectal
interference?). I did a Google search on the phrase and it turns up in
only
2 web pages:
   http://www.islamicfeqh.org/estefta-a/haj/haj10002.htm
   http://www.al-shia.com/html/ara/books/sharaea/12-1.html
In the first URL you'll find the correct phrase "al-aqrab fa-l-aqrab"
later
on in the same page and same context (right before question 35). A
Google
search of "al-aqrab fa-l-aqrab" returns 201 hits, and if you put the
hamzas
on the alif of "aqrab" Google returns 451 hits. (Note: to search for
phrases
in Google enclose the search string in quotes). In inheritance law the
phrase does seem to mean "the nearest relative, followed by the next of
kin."

Regards,
Tim