Arabic-L:GEN:Islamic Studies Internet forum response

Dilworth Parkinson Dilworth_Parkinson at byu.edu
Wed Jan 15 23:49:29 UTC 2003

1) Subject:Islamic Studies Internet forum response

Date:  15 Jan 2003
From: "Lois A. Giffen" <lgiffen at utah-inter.net>
Subject:Islamic Studies Internet forum response

Many scholars and students of Islamic Studies participate in the MidEast
Medieval List.  The following message which have kept in my subcriptions
folder describes the organization, a moderated list, and tells how to
apply.
Date: 05-12-01
From: Josef W. Meri, Editor
H-MIDEAST MEDIEVAL
meri at uclink4.berkeley.edu

H-MIDEAST MEDIEVAL is a moderated list for scholars and others
interested in
the study of the Islamic lands of the Middle East during the medieval
period
(defined roughly as 500-1500 C.E.). The list is affiliated with the
Middle
East Medievalists (MEM).  The list is free and open to everyone with a
mature and abiding interest in the subject; membership in MEM is not
required in order to subscribe to the list, although we strongly
encourage
it.  The list favors contributions that adopt a scholarly, historical
tone
and content. Scholars, teachers and librarians professionally
interested in
teaching and research in the field of the medieval Middle East are
particularly invited to join. Messages to the list will be read by one
of
the moderators before being posted; in certain circumstances we may
contact
you about your message and ask you to clarify content.

Middle East Medievalists officially came into existence on 15 November
1989
at its first annual meeting, held in Toronto. MEM has two primary
goals. The
first is to increase the representation of medieval scholarship at
scholarly
meetings in North America and elsewhere by co-sponsoring panels. The
other
principal objective of MEM is to foster communication among individuals
and
organizations with an interest in the study of the medieval Middle
East. MEM
also hopes, in the future, to advance the study of the medieval Middle
East
by undertaking such projects as scholar exchanges, conferences, etc. MEM
publishes AL-`USUR AL-WUSTA: THE BULLETIN OF MIDDLE EAST MEDIEVALISTS
twice
yearly (April and October), maintains a website
http://www.MiddleEastMedievalists.org, and meets annually in conjunction
with the Middle East Studies Association.  We hope that H-MIDEAST
MEDIEVAL
will increase membership in MEM and will allow for the expansion of
MEM's
online activities. Although membership in MEM is not required in order
subscribe to the list, it is strongly encouraged.  A membership form is
appended to this message.

If you would like to join H-MIDEAST MEDIEVAL, please return the
following
information about yourself to meri at uclink4.berkeley.edu and we will add
you
to the list and to our members' directory. Subscriptions are processed
manually on a time-available basis.  If you do not receive a
confirmation
message from LISTSERV and a "welcome" message from H-MIDEAST MEDIEVAL
within
one week of sending in this form, please write directly to:

meri at uclink4.berkeley.edu