Arabic-L:PEDA:Trade Arabic English Folktales

Dilworth Parkinson Dilworth_Parkinson at byu.edu
Mon Jan 27 16:50:21 UTC 2003

1) Subject:Trade Arabic English Folktales

Date:  27 Jan 2003
From: Claudia Kiburz [mailto:ckib at yahoo.com]
Subject:Trade Arabic English Folktales

[This message was forwarded by Michael Schub.  Please respond directly
to Claudia, who is not a member of the list]

I am an instructor at Zayed University in Dubai, the
U.A.E. This Spring I will be teaching a class on
Arabic Folk Tales to students in the English
pre-university program. I will have 30 students at a
high intermediate level.  Most would probably rank at
approximately 450 on a TOEFL.  Our university requires
a 500 for university entrance.  We would hope that
most of these students would be entering the
university in a year or less.

The students' inaccuracies in English are often
supported by a Gulf English pidgin, which currently
thrives in the region. The students can communicate
quite well, but often don't recognize a standard
grammar, as they have been exposed to a non-standard
grammar for so long.

I am looking for a program that could help me give
these 30 students feedback on their spoken grammar.

This is what we can do:

My students can digitally record in Arabic and English
traditional stories from the region.
We can e-mail these dual language stories.

I would like native speakers to listen to the stories
and record and send back the stories in Standard
English.  Ideally the native speakers would be ones
who are themselves studying Arabic and could use the
sound bites to further their studies of Arabic, or
people who are interested in the oral history of the
Gulf.

Thank you for any assistance or suggestions you might
have for this project.  Please feel free to forward
this e-mail.

Yours,

Claudia Kiburz
ckib at yahoo.com