Arabic-L:PEDA:Simplified Arabic materials query

Dilworth Parkinson dilworth_parkinson at byu.edu
Mon Jul 7 18:06:38 UTC 2003

1) Subject:Simplified Arabic materials query

Date: 30 Jun 2003
From: suma99 at att.net
Subject: Simplified Arabic materials query

I have a inquiry I'd like to circulate thru the Arabic webring.
That is many years ago while touring the Mideast, I was in Israel and
some
friends of mine who had been living htere and studyiing Hebrew were
read a
newspaper. They said it was a paper specially published for students of
Hebrew
in that it was written in sort of a simple Hebrew that an intermediate
sudent
of the language could understand. I thought it was a wonderful idea.

Also I know that VOA (voice of america) has a broadcast in simplified
English
to assist learners of the language. A great idea also.

Is anyone aware of similar media in print or broadcast for learners of
Arabic?
I'm talking about a journal or radio or webcast whose Arabic is spoken
a bit
slower and vocabulary simplified a bit, for learners and new speakers
of the
language. That would be a useful tool in the classroom.