Arabic-L:PEDA:Simplified magazines response

Dilworth Parkinson dilworth_parkinson at byu.edu
Tue Jul 15 15:45:47 UTC 2003

1) Subject:Simplified magazines response

Date: 15 Jul 2003
From: Dan Parvaz <dparvaz at mac.com>
Subject:Simplified magazines response

> I have a inquiry I'd like to circulate thru the Arabic webring. That
> is many years ago while touring the Mideast, I was in Israel and some
> friends of mine who had been living htere and studyiing Hebrew were
> read a newspaper. They said it was a paper specially published for
> students of Hebrew in that it was written in sort of a simple Hebrew
> that an intermediate sudent of the language could understand. I
> thought it was a wonderful idea.

There used to be something put out by (or in cooperation with?) the BBC
called Muxtaraat, which was more long the lines of the Champs-Elysées
magazines -- stories, with vocabulary helps, questions, etc. plus
recordings. Is that even around anymore?

At any rate, there is, to my knowledge, no Arabic analogue of the
Hebrew Sha’ar LamatHil, since there is no comparable push for
emigration/immigration. Perhaps in Saudi Arabia?

-Dan.

End of Arabic-L:  15 Jul 2003