Arabic-L:PEDA:Questions from a newcomer to Arabic

Dilworth Parkinson dilworth_parkinson at byu.edu
Mon Jul 21 15:02:29 UTC 2003

1) Subject:Questions from a newcomer to Arabic

Date: 21 Jul 2003
From: Alan Dague-Greene <alan at basicrecipe.com>
Subject:Questions from a newcomer to Arabic

Hi everyone,

I'm brand new to this list. I'm just starting to learn Arabic
(Egyptian), and wanted to be on a mailing list for potentially relevant
info. I hope I've found the right place.

A few simple questions: What's the difference between Modern Standard
Arabic and Egyptian Arabic? I chose the Egyptian flavor, because it is
my understanding that this is the most widely spoken form of Arabic. I
also hope to go to Egypt some day, so even if it isn't the most
ubiquitous, I'll still make it there.

Also, does anyone know of a mailing list for people speaking and typing
in Arabic? I'm using Mac OS X, which has support for Arabic fonts. I
would be able to read them in my email client. (Or at least, my email
client would be able to display the messages. It will be quite some
time before I can actually read them!)

Thanks for any insight you can provide.

Best regards,
Alan