Arabic-L:LING:ALS Alexandria Program

Dilworth Parkinson Dilworth_Parkinson at byu.edu
Mon Mar 10 23:08:13 UTC 2003

1) Subject:ALS Alexandria Program

Date: 03 Mar 2003
From:Dilworth Parkinson <dil at byu.edu>
Subject:ALS Alexandria Program

Below I am posting the tentative program for the Arabic Linguistics
Society Meetings which are to be held in Alexandria, Egypt on May 9-10,
2003.

We have every intention of holding this conference.  However, as all of
you are aware, we do not control world events, and there is a
possibility that travel restrictions will make it impossible to hold it
in its current form.  We therefore ask for your patience.  Understand
that if there is any way we can hold it, we will, but there is the
possibility that it may have to be cancelled or postponed, if the world
situation requires it.  We will keep you informed by e-mail of our
decisions in this regard.

It is important, however, for us to know your intentions, particularly
if you are on the program.  I would therefore ask any participants
listed here to e-mail me whether or not you are currently planning on
attending the conference.  A couple of weeks before the conference I
will send out a request for another e-mail confirmation of your
attendance.  This will allow us to adjust the program without having
large holes for no-shows.  Because of this, if you do not respond with
your confirmation, we will have to delete you from the program.  Moral:
keep in touch!

I apologize for the lower case nature of all the titles, but I didn't
want to retype them, and it is the only way I was able to import them
from the original program they were prepared on.  Travel and
accomodations information will be sent in a few days, hopefully.  Here
is the program:

friday, may 9
8:30 – 8:45	Registration
8:45 – 9:00 	Welcome and Announcements

Morning Session
Socio, Code-Switching, Dialectology
9:00 – 9:30	processing the world piece by piece: iconicity, lexical
insertion and possessives in nigerian arabic codeswitching
	Jonathan Owens, Bayreuth University
9:30 –10:00	some examples of code mixing within upper egyptian
migrants’ discourses in cairo
	Catherine Miller, University of Aix en Provence
10:00–10:30	modern standard arabic and egyptian colloquial arabic:
problems of classification
	Reem Bassiouney, Alexandria University & Oxford University
10:30-11:00	the bedouin dialect of al-zawaida tribe, southern jordan
	Ahmad Khalaf Sakarna, Mu'tah University

11:00-11:15	BREAK

11:15-12:15	keynote address
Madiha Doss, Cairo University

Afternoon Session: Morphology
1:15-1:45	verb inflections in kuwaiti arabic children
	Khawla Aljenaie, Kuwait University
1:45-2:15	productivity in child language:  development of Arabic word
formation
	Fatima Badry, American University of Sharjah
2:15-2:45	the Arabic system of ‘derived verbs’ in functional and
typological perspective
	Robert R. Ratcliffe, Tokyo University of Foreign Studies
2:45-3:15	verbal stem-vowel shift in Colloquial Arabic
	Nagato Youichi, Tokyo University of Foreign Studies
3:15-3:10 	break
Rhetoric
3:30-4:00	rhetorical borrowing: french rhetoric in arabic research
article introductions
	Ahmed Fakhri, West Virginia University
4:00-4:30	Arabic rhetoric and academic writing
	Raja Mallek & Maher Bahloul, American University of Sharjah
4:30-5:00	of interrogation in religious discourse: a sociolinguistic
study
	Kamel Abdelbadie Elsaadany, Tanta University
Computational
5:00-5:30	an agfl computational lexicon for arabic nlp applications
	Sameh Al-Ansary, Alexandria University
5:30-6:00	A Suite of Tools for Morphological Analysis of Arabic Corpora
	Stephen Taylor, Fitchburg State College

saturday, may 10
Morning Session: Psycholinguistics
8:00 – 8:30	specific language impairment in an egyptian arabic child
	Donia Fahim & Marjorie Lorch, University of London
8:30 – 9:00	root formation and polysemic organization in arabic lexicon
and grammar: a probabilistic model
	Lazhar Zanned, University of Manouba
9:00 –9:30	what underlies word pattern priming in arabic deverbal nouns?
	Sami Boudelaa & William Marslen-Wilson, Cambridge University

Phonology
9:30-10:00	arabic /g/ with special reference to rules of qur’anic
recitation
	Mohammed Riyad Elashiry, University of Birmingham
10:00-10:30	acoustic cues for the perception of word juncture in arabic
	Mervat Fashal, Alexandria University
10:30-10:45	break
10:45-11:15	vowel length in arabic as a function of syllable type
	Yahia A. Ahmad, Kuwait University
11:15-11:45	the structure of arabic intonation: a preliminary
investigation
	Khaled Rifaat, University of Alexandria
11:45-12:15	phonological processes in connected speech
	Hanaa Salem, Alexandria University
12:15-12:45	acoustic cues for the perception of word juncture in arabic
	Sahar Farooq

Afternoon Session: Syntax
1:45-2:15	light verbs in standard arabic and egyptian arabic
	Amr Helmy Ibrahim, L’Université de Franche-Comté
2:15 – 2:45	the syntax of negative adverbs in arabic
	Maher Bahloul, American University of Sharjah
2:45 – 3:15	causative verbs in arabic and the vp-shell hypothesis
	Mohamed S. Al-Seghayar, University of Garyounis
3:15-3:45	Subatomic Semantics and the Active Participle in Egyptian
Arabic
	Mustafa Mughazy, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
3:45 – 4:00	break
4:00 - 4:30	isnaad (predication) and clause structure in arabic: a
minimalist approach
	Wafaa A. F. Batran Wahba, Ain Shams University
4:30 – 5:00	epp and case: the subject in arabic
	Amira Agameya, Cairo University & American University in Cairo

Corpus Linguistics
5:00 –5:30	future variability: a corpus study of positive and negative
arabic future particles
	Dilworth Parkinson, BYU

L2 Syntax and Morphology
5:30-6:00	l2 acquisition of arabic morphosyntactic features: temporary
or permanent Impairment?
	Mohammad T. Alhawary, University of Oklahoma
6:00-6:30	the l2 acquisition of arabic plurals
	Mary Ann Walter, MIT
6:30-7:00	the role of input in the second language acquisition of syntax
	Mohammad Alhamad, University of Essex