Arabic-L:PEDA:How to become a UN Translator Responses

Dilworth Parkinson Dilworth_Parkinson at byu.edu
Fri May 23 16:24:13 UTC 2003

1) Subject:How to become a UN Translator Response
2) Subject:How to become a UN Translator Response
3) Subject:How to become a UN Translator Response

Date: 23 May 2003
From: Milena Savova <ms93 at nyu.edu>
Subject:How to become a UN Translator Response

Periodically, the UN conducts examinations for translators and
interpreters.  There was one announced a week ago (the information is
probably available on the UN website) . The exams will be in September.
  However, these are exams for people who know how to translate.  The UN
does not have translator training courses.  They have language training
courses open only to their staff.  So one has to learn the languages
as well as translation somewhere else before applying to take those
exams.   I hope this answers the question.

Milena Savova
Director
Center for Foreign Languages and Translation
New York University