Arabic-L:LING:ALS 2004 FINAL CALL

Dilworth Parkinson dilworth_parkinson at byu.edu
Thu Oct 16 18:41:05 UTC 2003

1) Subject:ALS 2004 FINAL CALL

Date: 16 Oct  2003
From:Dilworth Parkinson <dil at byu.edu>
Subject:ALS 2004 FINAL CALL

We are happy to announce that the 2004 Arabic Linguistic Society
Meetings will be held on 19-20 March 2004 in Norman, Oklahoma,
co-sponsored by the University of Oklahoma.  Mohammad T. Alhawary will
be our local arranger (many thanks to Mohammad).

We are also happy to announce that Abbas Benmamoun has agreed to be our
keynote speaker!

Please note that we have extended the deadline to November 15th,
because of the lateness of this final call.

Call for Papers

The Arabic Linguistics Society,
The University of Oklahoma

announce the

Seventeenth Annual Symposium on
Arabic Linguistics

to be held at the

The University of Oklahoma
Norman, Oklahoma

March 19-20, 2004

Papers are invited on topics that deal with the application of current
linguistic theories and analyses to Arabic. Research in the following
areas of Arabic linguistics is encouraged: grammatical analysis
(phonology, morphology, syntax, semantics), sociolinguistics,
psycholinguistics, discourse analysis, historical linguistics, corpus
linguistics, computer modeling, etc.  Papers in Arabic pedagogy will
normally not be considered.

Persons interested in presenting papers are requested to submit a
one-page abstract giving the title of the paper, a brief statement of
the topic, and a summary clearly stating how the topic will be
developed  (the reasoning, data, or experimental results to be
presented). Authors are requested to be as specific as possible in
describing their topics. Abstracts should be submitted by e-mail, where
possible. The top lines of the message should contain the author's
name, affiliation, address, phone number, e-mail address, and the title
of the paper.  The body of the abstract should then follow after 4
blank lines. The heading will be omitted before it is sent to the
members of the paper selection committee. Please do not send
attachments. If submitted by mail, both a disk copy and a hard copy are
to be included. Names are not to appear on printed abstracts; instead,
a 3x5 card with the above information should be enclosed. Twenty
minutes will be allowed for each presentation.

2004 ALS membership dues ($25 faculty, $20 students) and conference
fees ($40 preregistered) are to be submitted with all abstracts and
must be received by the abstract deadline.  Special financial
arrangements will be made for local students and scholars.  Membership
dues are non-refundable; conference fees are refundable, if requested,
only to those whose papers are not accepted.

Deadline for Receipt of Abstracts
November 15, 2003

Abstracts should be addressed to:

Tessa Hauglid