Arabic-L:LING:EL- Al- Variation more responses

Dilworth Parkinson dilworth_parkinson at byu.edu
Thu Oct 16 18:18:02 UTC 2003

1) Subject:EL- Al- Variation more response
2) Subject:EL- Al- Variation more response
3) Subject:EL- Al- Variation more response

Date: 16 Oct  2003
From: dwilmsen <dwilmsen at aucegypt.edu>
Subject:EL- Al- Variation more response

The applications for visas to the United States require applicants to
write
their names (and their
home addresses) in their native script.  Those geniuses at la Migra
could
simply refer to that line
of the application and compare that with the name written on the
passport.

I have already offered my services to the attorney in question to serve
as an
expert.

My office has performed hundreds, maybe thousands, of translations for
people
applying for visas.

If anyone is interested, I will post my reply to Maher Awad, although it
doesn't say anything that we
all don't already know.

David Wilmsen
Director, Arabic and Translation Studies
The American University in Cairo