Arabic-L:LING:Needs word definitions in Sufi context

Dilworth Parkinson dilworth_parkinson at byu.edu
Thu Oct 16 18:17:55 UTC 2003

1) Subject:Needs word definitions in Sufi context

Date: 16 Oct  2003
From: Davidson Maclaren <rbdmaclaren_ng at hotmail.com>
Subject:Needs word definitions in Sufi context

I am looking for thorough definitions of the words "fard," "fardiyya,"
and "fardaniyya" as used in tasawwuf.  In particular, I am interested
in fard as it figures in the personality of 'Abd al-Qadir al-Jilani and
in Bediuzzaman Said Nursi's Risale-i Nur.  For example, in Risale-i Nur
(Kastamonu Lahikasi), Bediuzzaman Said Nursi refers to fard as a maqam
held by al-Jilani.  If I remember correctly, he also states that
Risale-i Nur has fardiyya because it has attained through al-Jilani the
maqam of fard.  Furthermore all students of Risale-i Nur have this same
maqam and are not obliged to follow the Qutb.  Any thoughts?
Recommended readings?

Thanks,
Davidson MacLaren