Arabic-L:Trans:Need Iraqi Arabic expertise

Nathan Arp nja9 at email.byu.edu
Mon Aug 23 19:08:31 UTC 2004

1) Subject:Need Iraqi Arabic expertise

Date:23 Aug  2004
From:John Makhoul <makhoul at bbn.com>
Subject:Need Iraqi Arabic expertise

We have a research project for limited speech-to-speech translation
from English to various languages and back, including Arabic.  We
already have a version of the system working for colloquial Levantine
Arabic and would like to do the same for Iraqi Arabic.  We have plenty
of expertise in Levantine Arabic but not Iraqi Arabic.

So, we are looking for the following:

1. Books or comprehensive articles that discuss Iraqi Arabic
    (phonetics, phonology, morphology, etc.).

2. A person with linguistic background and knowledge of Iraqi Arabic
    for possible consulting on the project.

3. A few individuals in the Boston area who are interested in doing
    some annotation of Iraqi Arabic data using a computer tool.

Thank you.

John Makhoul
Cambridge, MA