Arabic-L:INFO:JAIS in Unicode HTML

Nathan Arp nja9 at email.byu.edu
Mon Aug 23 19:08:42 UTC 2004

1) Subject:JAIS in Unicode HTML

Date: 23 Aug  2004
From:Joseph N. Bell <joseph.bell at msk.uib.no>
Subject:JAIS in Unicode HTML

Journal of Arabic and Islamic Studies
http://www.uib.no/jais/jais.htm
http://enlil.ff.cuni.cz/jais/jais.htm

We have now uploaded most of our files in HTML Unicode. The files were
converted in Word from various mixtures of JAIS1 TTW and other fonts to
Arial Unicode MS and a few other Unicode fonts as necessary by Alex
Metcalfe and from Word to HTML by me. Inevitably there will be some new
errors, and we hope readers, and especially authors, will inform us of
these.

HTML Unicode files will in the future replace the pre-publication  PDF
files when they are published on paper. The printed articles may differ
slightly from the pre-publication files, but changes in pagination will
normally not be allowed. HTML files are provided since all diacritics
can be searched in them. Because of the continuing development of
standards these are always in tentative form. The page numbers of the
PDF file are given in black brackets in the HTML text. Underlined words
before a page number are divided between pages in the PDF/printed
version. In case of discrepancies, the printed version should be cited.

Our reference browsers are  Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.x  and
Netscape 7.1.x for the PC and Safari and Opera for Macintosh OS X. We
are still uncertain about results on the Macintosh, although Opera
seems to work better than Safari. On the PC, Netscape is somewhat
better than Internet Explorer, since our files are justified, and in
this case Internet Explorer does not hold footnote references together
with  the item they are attached to (thus a line can begin with a
footnote reference that should be at the end of the preceding line).
This does not happen in Netscape.

The uploaded Unicode articles are:

vol. 1: all
vol. 2: all
vol. 3: all
vol. 4: all except Schmitt
vol. 5: only Bayhom-Daou

Please give us your reactions to help us proceed.

Joseph N. Bell
Professor of Arabic
Middle Eastern Languages and Cultures
University of Bergen