Arabic-L:GEN:Search for Ferguson's "diglossia revisited"

Nathan Arp nja9 at email.byu.edu
Thu Dec 16 18:46:30 UTC 2004

1) Subject:Search for Ferguson's "diglossia revisited"

Date: 16 Dec  2004
From:Frédéric LAGRANGE <fredlag at noos.fr>
Subject:Search for Ferguson's "diglossia revisited"

Dear all,

The French SUDOC database indicates that no public library in France
owns a collection of the Southwest Journal of Linguistics, in which
Charles Ferguson published his article "Epilogue : Diglossia Revisited"
(SWJL 10:1 (1991) pp. 214-234, so I have no way to access it. Since
some of you might have had a chance to read this article, I have two
questions :

- It appears the article was published as the last article in a special
issue dedicated to  "studies in diglossia" in various geographic areas
by the SWJL. Is Ferguson's article specifically on Arabic diglossia and
does it address the various critics on his 1959 conception of
diglossia, and evolution on the subject brought by sociolinguistics in
the field of Arabic studies, or is it rather a general reflexion on
diglossia, concluding this special issue ?

- Does anyone have a copy of the article ?

Thanks in advance,

Frederic Lagrange
Departement d'Etudes Arabes et Hebraiques
Universite Paris 4 Sorbonne
1 rue Victor Cousin
75005 PARIS

End of Arabic-L:  16 Dec  2004