Arabic-L:GEN:contact info for Muhammad al-Maghut

Nathan Arp nja9 at email.byu.edu
Thu Dec 16 19:20:11 UTC 2004

1) Subject:contact info for Muhammad al-Maghut

Date: 16 Dec  2004
From:gwitty at earthlink.net gwitty at earthlink.net
Subject:contact info for Muhammad al-Maghut

Dear Colleagues:

Does anyone have contact information for Syrian poet Muhammad al-Maghut
in
Damascus?
I’m trying to contact him because I have recently finished translating
his
1973 play “Al-Muharrij” (The Jester).   My colleague Evan Winet,
professor
of theater at Macalester College in Minnesota, will be directing the
play
next April at Macalester.  We’d very much like to be in touch with Mr.
al-Maghut about the production.

I am supposing that this is probably the first time that one of
al-Maghut’s
plays has been performed in America.  If anyone has information about
previous productions, I’d be interested to hear about them.

For your information, the details regarding the performance are below.

Thank you in advance for any information you can provide regarding the
best
way to contact Mr. al-Maghut.   Please don’t hesitate to email me
directly
at gwitty at earthlink.net or gwitty at temple.edu.

Gordon Witty
Temple University/U. of Pennsylvania

-------------------------

Macalester College Department of Theater and Dance presents

The World Premiere of the English Translation of

The Jester (al-Muharrij)

by the Syrian poet-playwright, Muhammad al-Maghut
Translated by Gordon Witty
Directed by Evan Winet

A troupe of actors arrives at an urban coffeehouse, and entertains the
crowd with their own rendition of Othello (as a Moroccan freedom
fighter)
and impersonations of such great Arab leaders as Abd al-Rahman I,
conqueror
of medieval Spain.  Their antics rouse Abd al-Rahman himself from the
grave, and when he hears what has become of the Arab “nation” since his
death, he resolves to come back and liberate Palestine himself.  This
paragon of Arab chivalry is unprepared, however, for the corruptions and
betrayals of the modern Arab state. Through the light hand of farce, The
Jester confronts controversial issues of great importance to current
global
politics.

April 15, 16, 22, 23 at 7:30pm
April 17 at 2:00 pm

Janet Wallace Fine Arts Center, Mainstage Theater
Macalester College
(1600 Grand Avenue, St. Paul, Minnesota)

For tickets, call 651-696-6359