Arabic-L:GEN:Hadith responses

Dilworth Parkinson dilworth_parkinson at byu.edu
Thu Feb 12 21:07:08 UTC 2004

1) Subject:Hadith responses summary

Date: 12 Feb 2004
From:Dil Parkinson <dil at byu.edu>
Subject:Hadith responses summary

First, I would like to thank those who responded to my request for help
with the hadith.  They are (forgive me if I miss someone):

Mohammed Elashiry
Steve Franke
Davied Reisman
George Hallak
Tim Buckwalter
Waheed Samy
Abdulrahman Almuhareb
Mohammad Al-Masri
Muhammad Eissa
Muhammad Aziz
Nagwa Hedayet

The Arabic translation of the hadith could be transliterated as follows:

man xaraja fi Talab al-9ilmi kaana fi sabiil Allaahi hatta yarji9

Several suggested other similar Hadith, some better attested than the
one above, which appears only in sunan al-Tirmidhi (Chapter al-9ilm,
hadith #2571).  For example (and I apologize for the inaccuracies in
the transliteration):

man salaka Tariiqan yaltamisu fiihi 9ilman sahhala Allaahu lahu
Tariiqan 'ila al-janna

maa min xaarijin xaraja min baytihi fi Talab al-9ilmi 'illaa waDa9at
lahu al-malaa'ilatu 'ajniHataha riDan bimaa yaSna9

and of course, the ever popular

uTlub al-9ilma wa law fi al-Siin

There are probably others, but some of the messages come through with
Arabic that I was not able to read.  Anyway, thanks again for your very
helpful responses.

Dil