Arabic-L:GEN:Messages in Arabic Script

Dilworth Parkinson dilworth_parkinson at byu.edu
Fri Feb 20 16:05:31 UTC 2004

1) Subject:Messages in Arabic Script

Date: 20 Feb 2004
From:moderator
Subject:Messages in Arabic Script

I have posted, and will continue to post, a few messages either in
Arabic script or containing Arabic script, realizing that only some of
you will be able to read them.  I will try to limit these as much as
possible, and encourage posters to transliterate anything that they
include in script so that those who can't read the script can figure
out what is going on.  In the case of the WATA message, I thought it
was worthwhile enough to post, even though I had no English or
transliterated version.  For those who could not read it, it is from
the World Arabic Translators Association, and you can find their
information at:

arabicwata.org

on the web.

Waheed has pointed out to me that even some of the messages that get
through may end up getting garbled because of the different ways
different systems handle puctuation.  For example, his sentence about
the hadith got all turned around because of the presence of periods in
the middle:
(I will now copy his response, realizing that if it gets regarbled it
may be even more incomprehensible than before)

Dil , this is how the text appears in your posting:
قصة النبي داود مع ... الامرأة من العبر ما يكفي .. قصة فيها ...
[Waheed Samy] This is how it should appear:
  قصة النبي داود مع الامرأة قصة فيها من العِبر ما
(The story of the nabi Dawuud with the woman is a story containing
lessons/advice that )
I think the presense of periods screwed things up.

Dil

End of Arabic-L:  20 Feb  2004