Arabic-L:LIT:Journal of Arabic Literature 35:1

Dilworth Parkinson dilworth_parkinson at byu.edu
Thu Jul 1 15:10:41 UTC 2004

1) Subject:Journal of Arabic Literature 35:1

Date: 01 Jul 2004
From:mmusawi at ausharjah.edu
Subject:Journal of Arabic Literature 35:1

Journal of Arabic Literature
 35:1

  NOTE FROM THE NEW EDITOR
  The Journal of Arabic Literature is pleased to present this special
issue on Iraqi literature. The growing interest in Iraqi literature and
culture invites more than one
single issue, to be sure, but it is worthwhile to make such a start.
The present issue includes four studies and an extensive bibliography
of Iraqi material in English
translation.
As the new editor to Journal of Arabic Literature, I would like to
thank my predecessor Suzanne P. Stetkevych for her commitment to the
Journal and her
readiness over many years to devote her editorial expertise and
scholarship towards the growth of JAL.I would like to thank our readers
and referees who are
unfailing in lending their scholarship to the Journal.
Please join me in welcoming Douglas Young from Standford University as
Assistant Editor and Hussein N. Kadhim from Dartmouth College as Review
Editor. With
your unfailing cooperation and commitment to the field, I hope the
Journal of Arabic Literature would make and achieve further growth and
success.
 Please not that JAL is hosted by the American University of Sharjah,
P. O. Box 26666, Sharjah, UAE.
 Fax + 971 6 558 5011
 jal at ausharjah.edu
 For next year, I will be at Columbia University, but  the AUS address
will remain for correspondence with JAL. You are welcome to contact me
either on:
 jal at ausharjah.edu

   mmusawi at ausharjah.edu

   OR
ma2188 at columbia.edu

  MUHSIN JASSIM AL-MUSAWI

  CONTENTS
  Note from the New Editor
 FERIAL J. GHAZOUL, Iraqi Short Fiction: The Unhomely at Home and
 Abroad
CATHERINE COBHAM, Reading and Writing in al-Masarrat wa'l-awja'
 by Fu'ad al-Takarli
FABIO CAIANI, Polyphony and Narrative Voice in Fu'ad al-Takarli's
 al-Raj' al-ba'id
HAGER BEN DRISS, The Unholy Trinity: Politics, Sex and Mysticism in
 'Aziz al-Sayyid Jasim's Narratives
SALIH 1. ALTOMA, Iraq's Modern Arabic Literature in English Translation
 1950-2003
F. CORRIENTE, Again on (Partially) Romance Andalusi Kharajat

Reviews
HAMDI SAKKUT, The Arabic Novel: Bibliography and Critical Intro
duction 1865-1995 (Sinan Antoon)
HAMID NAFICY, An Accented Cinema: Exilic and Diasporic Film
 making (Dina Amin)
 HERBERT BERG, The Development of Exegesis in Early Islam: The
 Authenticity of Muslim Literaturefrom the Formative Period(Brannon
 Wheeler)
YASIR SULEIMAN, The Arabic Grammatical Tradition: A study of Ta'lil (
Muhammad Sawaie)

ISSN 0085-2376

End of Arabic-L:  01 Jul  2004