Arabic-L:PEDA:U. of Iowa job

Dilworth Parkinson dilworth_parkinson at byu.edu
Thu Jul 1 15:11:00 UTC 2004

1) Subject:U. of Iowa job

Date: 01 Jul 2004
From:james-pusack at uiowa.edu
Subject:U. of Iowa job

Dear Colleague,

I am writing to let you, your colleagues, and your students know of a
Lecturership or Visiting Professorship in Arabic in the Department of
Linguistics at the University of Iowa.  Funding for this position has
been received as a part our federally-funded National Resource Center
(NRC) in International Studies.  In the first year of funding student
enrollment has been excellent.  Unexpectedly, however, the position has
become available again for this fall (2004) and we are now enlisting
your help to find a qualified instructor immediately.

The person we hire will have the opportunity to help inaugurate a new
program in Arabic language at Iowa—a prospect that has proven to very
exciting for all our departments involved with second-language
acquisition and international studies.  As co-director of the NRC I
would like to ask for your help in making this opening known to
qualified applicants.  Although it is not a full-time position, it
might prove an ideal situation for candidates completing their advanced
degrees; we will also adapt our hiring requirements to meet the needs
of qualified candidates.

Thanks for your help.

 James P. Pusack,
  Chair, Department of German, and NRC-Co-Director

Here is the official position announcement:

Lecturer/Visiting Assistant  Professor  in  Arabic  Language,
non-tenure-track

The Department  of  Linguistics  at  the  University  of Iowa  seeks  a
  part-time  Lecturer  or  Visiting  Assistant  Professor  in  Arabic
Language,  non-tenure-track,  for  the  academic  year  2004-05.  The
position  will  begin  with  a  one-year  contract,  renewable  upon
positive  review  for 2005-06.  Responsibilities  include  teaching
four  sections  of  Arabic  language  per  year  or  the  equivalent
for a 2/3-time  appointment.  Additional  teaching  responsibilities
for a higher-percentage  appointment may be negotiated,  based  on
applicant's  interests  and  areas  of  specialization.

The successful  candidate  should  hold  an  M.A.  in a related  field,
  preferably  in Arabic, linguistics  or  applied  linguistics;  an  ABD
  or  Ph.D.  is  preferred.   The candidate  should  have  native  or
near-native  fluency  in  Modern  Standard  Arabic  and  English.   We
seek  a  professionally-qualified  candidate  with  a  commitment  to
teaching  Arabic  for  academic  purposes.   Previous foreign/second
language  teaching  experience,  training  in SLA  theories  and
methods, and experience with U.S.  educational  institutions
preferred.

Send letter  of  application  and  curriculum  vitae  to  Catherine
Ringen,  Chair,  Department  of  Linguistics,  570  English-Philosophy
Building,  University  of  Iowa,  Iowa  City,  IA  52242.   Electronic
submissions  may  be  directed  to janet-delwiche at uiowa.edu.  Screening
  begins  immediately  and  continues  until  the  position  is  filled.
  The University of  Iowa  is an equal  opportunity/affirmative action
employer.   Women and  minorities  are  encouraged  to  apply.