Arabic-L:PEDA:AFL Materials for k-12 query

Dilworth Parkinson dilworth_parkinson at byu.edu
Tue Jul 20 22:10:33 UTC 2004

1) Subject:AFL Materials for k-12 query

Date: 20 Jul 2004
From:"A. E." <aghamrawy13 at hotmail.com>
Subject:AFL Materials for k-12 query

Hello all. We are restructuring our Arabic program to be a
profieciency-based program with communicative classes and materials.
One of the main elements we are looking to change is the materials. We
are using ÃÍÈ ÇáÚÑÈíÉ "Uhebbul 3arabeyya" textbooks with the middle
school, which are ok for the time being. But if you know of any new
textbooks available in the market that we could use, please let me
know. Does any one have any suggestions for good materials for
teenagers (ages 11 and up)?
I also wonder if you have any suggestions for materials for the
preschool age. We are looking for intersting materials that focus
solely on the aural/oral skills. Any recommended
books/flashcards/audio-visual aids?

Finally is any one intersted in the area of CALL? We have introduced
the computer and the Internet in our class activities and projects. If
there's anyone intersted in this field, I would like to open channels
of dialogue with them. Please email me at my personal email for that. I
would also encourage those who teach K-12 to communicate more to form a
think-tank on their programs. I believe most Arabic programs for this
age in the US are going through the same problems, and exchanging
thoughts and expretise will make things a lot easier for all. Thanks.

Ahmad Elghamrawy

Arabic program director
Orange Crescent School
One Al-Rahman Plaza