Arabic-L:LING:hamzat al-wasl response

Dilworth Parkinson dilworth_parkinson at byu.edu
Wed Jun 23 21:22:15 UTC 2004

1) Subject:hamzat al-wasl response
2) Subject:hamzat al-wasl thanks

Date: 23 Jun 2004
From:timbuckwalter at qamus.org
Subject:hamzat al-wasl response

Yes, hamzat wasl is falling into disuse because (1) short vowels and
diacritics are increasingly viewed as dispensable elements in writing,
and (2) hamzat wasl is not readily available on personal computers. You
can try inserting the HTML character entity for hamzat wasl (ٱ) in
an HTML document and see how it displays in your web browser. I just
tried this in IE and it displayed a fairly decent-looking alif + hamzat
wasl, even on a lam-alif glyph.

Tim Buckwalter
Philadelphia