Arabic-L:PEDA:Query Concerning AFL/ASL

Nathan Arp nja9 at email.byu.edu
Tue Oct 12 23:53:42 UTC 2004

1) Subject:Query Concerning AFL/ASL

Date: 12 Oct  2004
From:eissa at comcast.net
Subject:Query Concerning AFL/ASL

Salaam All;

	With the up surge of interest in Arabic, several questions are
surfacing in a diverse array of communities.  A good number of new
comers to
the field as well as old hands are showing unprecedented interest in
looking
at gaining knowledge of where does Arabic stand in the discipline of
foreign
language learning and teaching.  Some of the pressing questions have to
do
with:

	1. How, when and where one can distinguish between Arabic as a
Foreign Language (AFL) and Arabic as a Second Language (ASL)? Need
references: books, articles . . .etc

	2. What are the minimum qualifications of any person intending to
undertake a teaching assignment in the area of AFL or ASL?

	3. Where can teachers, especially in public schools, get officially
certified as an  AFL/ASL teacher?

	4. Is there any data bank for materials for all levels that are
recommended/reviewed by professionals in the field? What has happened
to the
ambitious clearing house project that AATA proposed some years/decades
ago?

	While I have limited answers to some of the above questions, I feel
that my knowledge may be outdated and inadequate.  I seek to open the
dialogue over those issues at this critical time in our profession.

	Thanks in advance, salaam

Muhammad S. Eissa, Ph. D.
Presiedent, Eissa & Associates