Arabic-L:LING:Three subjects in Arabic

Dilworth Parkinson dilworth_parkinson at byu.edu
Tue Apr 12 19:07:02 UTC 2005

1) Subject:Three subjects in Arabic

Date: 12 Apr  2005
From:hudagh at hotmail.com
Subject:Three subjects in Arabic

I've noticed from the research I've undertaken on the study of
different varietes of Arabic that the Arabic sentential configuration
may actually have three different subject positions and that any theory
that wishes account for its structure has to make room for this fact.
There is the subject small pro in Chomsky's terminolgy, the subject
nominal when there is one, and there may be a third subject nominal,
which is naturally coreferential with the first two subjects. In
Classical Arabic, this third subject nominal  may be seen to have overt
Accusative Case, in which case a distinct head must check its Case. I'm
assuming that it is C with a strong feature. Putting it in a nutshell,
I think C plays a very important role in the sentential structure of a
language such as Arabic. However, after attending the conferences on
the Salish and Wakashan languages in Vancouver last summer, I have come
to believe that C also plays a dominant in these languages too. It
makes sense since these languages are also highly inflectional
languages. They even have pharygneal sounds too. But I understand that
these pharygneal sounds are different from those in Arabic.
   I'd like to set this query for an open discussion among my colleagues.
      Wishing you the very best,

       Sincerely,
     Dr. Huda Ghaly