Arabic-L:LING:more 'tooth' expression responses

Dilworth Parkinson dilworth_parkinson at byu.edu
Tue Apr 12 19:07:09 UTC 2005

1) Subject: more 'tooth' expression responses

Date: 12 Apr  2005
From:Dil Parkinson
Subject:more 'tooth' expression responses

A couple more responses came in after I posted the initial responses to
the query, so for the sake of completeness, here they are:

Hi
Growing up in Lebanon I used to hear the following expression said many
times when children start losing their milk teeth:
Ya Shams Ya Shammousi Wahyaat Ammi Mousi, Khedi Senn El Hmar wa
A'eteeni Senn El Ghazal.
Meaning to exchange the ugly tooth with a nice bewutiful one with
reference to the dee whom the Arabs consider as nice looking animal
when they compare a girl's beautiful eyes to those of the deer
Regards
Nabil.
________

I am sure by now all Egyptians have responded and told you what the
expression means.  However, I would like to put in my share.  First the
last two words can be realized differently (senet alarees) for a boy
and (senet al aruusa) for a girl.  This phrase is said when a child
looses his or her baby tooth. The caretaker and the child recite this
phrase together and throw the tooth in the air into the sun.  It means
literally "Oh sun - shamousa is a nick name for sun- take the buffalo
tooth and give us the tooth of a bride or a groom." Hope this helps

Sincerely,
Rajaa