Arabic-L:GEN:Fix for Unconnected letters on OSX Safari

Dilworth Parkinson dilworth_parkinson at byu.edu
Mon Apr 25 21:53:35 UTC 2005

1) Subject:Fix for Unconnected letters on OSX Safari

Date: 25 Apr  2005
From:Dil Parkinson <dil at byu.edu>
Subject:Fix for Unconnected letters on OSX Safari

I suppose everyone else has already known this for months/years(?) but
in case there are any Mac users out there as dense as I am, I just
found out why the Arabic letters on some web sites look great and on
others come in their unconnected forms.  (For example, Arabic Google
and the BBC Arabic site are unconnected for me, while Al-Jazeera,
Al-Ahram and many others are fine).  I previously fixed this by
switching to Firefox for those sites, but someone recently told me how
to fix it for Safari itself.

The deal is, Apple provides an Arabic-enabled version of Arial and
Times New Roman in the fonts folder of the main Library (the one at the
highest level, not the one in your users folder).  However, when you
install Word 2004, it installs versions of Arial and Times New Roman
that are NOT Arabic enabled in your user Library's font folder, which
automatically supercedes the one on the higher level.  Since many web
sites ask specifically for these fonts, on those sites the letters will
appear disconnected.

To fix this, you need to go into the Fonts folder in the Library folder
that is in your User (NOT the one at the root level) and get rid of the
Arial and Times New Roman fonts.  This will allow the 'good' Arial and
Times New Roman fonts that are in the Fonts Folder in the Library
folder at the root level to be accessed, and the letters on those web
sites will be connected as Arabic letters again.

To find a discussion of this on the MacOS hints site, type in Safari
Arabic into Google and you'll see it near the top of the list.

Hope this helps someone.

Dil