Arabic-L:PEDA:Needs advice on cheap intensive Arabic

Dilworth Parkinson dilworth_parkinson at byu.edu
Tue Feb 1 18:14:41 UTC 2005

1) Subject:Needs advice on cheap intensive Arabic

Date: 01 Feb  2005
From:polywannabe at hotmail.com
Subject:Needs advice on cheap intensive Arabic

I'm in a dilemma.  I'm going to grad school full-time here in DC and
have been taking evening Arabic classes at the Middle East Institute
but we seem to be progressing at a snail's pace.  This summer I am
wanting to do some sort of intensive Arabic program to jumpstart things
a bit.  I was leaning toward an AUK program but I'm starting to feel
reluctant because of the price and because I'm suddenly not sure I want
an Egyptian accent.  Middlebury also seems way out of my price range,
though I should probably look into scholarships or something.
I looked a little into a program at Birzeit University, but then I'd
have an Israeli stamp in my passport again and I do plan on traveling
through some non-Israeli-stamp-loving countries the end of the summer
(Algeria & Libya). Some people have recommended going to Damascus but I
have no idea where any good programs are.  I would love to do a random
country like Oman, but I'm really wanting a high quality program and a
semi-understandable colloquial dialect.  And basically pay nothing.
=)  I'm finding millions and millions of programs online, but I'm
hesitant to commit to one if I've never seen it or know someone who's
attended...

Any advice or magic solutions?

Thanks,

Heather