Arabic-L:LING:Jobs

Dilworth Parkinson dilworth_parkinson at byu.edu
Tue Feb 1 18:14:27 UTC 2005

1) Subject:Corpus Linguistics Job
1) Subject:Computational Linguistics Job

Date: 01 Feb  2005
From:reposted from LINGUIST
Subject:Corpus Linguistics Job

Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2005 11:48:41
From: Kim Helfrich < khelfrich at textwise.com >
Subject: Arabic/English/Text/Corpus Linguistics: Scientist, TextWise,
NY, USA

University or Organization: TextWise
Job Rank: Scientist
Specialty Areas: Computational Linguistics; Text/Corpus Linguistics;
Translation
Required Language(s): Arabic, Standard (ABV)
                                    English (ENG)

[Updated reposting of #15.3440]

For over 10 years, TextWise has developed cutting-edge technology to
analyze
unstructured text for government and commercial applications.  Join the
CINDOR
team to extend our state-of-the-art cross-language information
retrieval system
to Arabic. This position reports to the Director of Science.

Key Responsibilities include:
1. Optimize linguistic algorithms and custom toolkit for cross-language
text mining.
2. Use toolkit to build an Arabic lexical database associated with
Princeton
     WordNet.
3. Develop query disambiguation, translation, and optimization to
target multiple
     search engines.
4. Measure precision/recall of the system and design new ways to improve
     accuracy.

Job Requirements:
1. Ph.D. (or M.S. with 2+ years commercial experience) in computational
     linguistics, computer science, or related area.
2. Strong knowledge and hands-on experience in:
- Natural Language Processing (NLP);
- Cross-Language Information Retrieval (CLIR);
- Text Mining;
- TREC evaluations;
- WordNet architecture and optimization;
- Java / Linux programming.
3. Native or near-native fluency in both English and Modern Standard
Arabic, with
     linguistic knowledge of both.
4. Strong organizational skills.
5. Ability to work both independently and within an existing team.

Note:
We are also hiring scientists for our Semantic Signatures team to build
the
world's best contextual advertising search engine (see
http://www.textwise.com/commercial).  MS/PhD in computer science;
experience in
search engines, text mining, NLP, and statistical analysis.

Address for Applications:

	Kim Helfrich
	1100 Chase Square
	Rochester, NY 14604
	United States of America

Application Deadline: Open until filled.

Contact Information:

	Kim Helfrich
	Email: khelfrich at textwise.com
	Phone: 585-325-3555