Arabic-L:LING:Needs refs on difference in Standard Arabic in different countries

Dilworth Parkinson dilworth_parkinson at byu.edu
Tue Feb 8 00:01:42 UTC 2005

1) Subject:Needs refs on difference in Standard Arabic in different
countries

Date: 07 Feb  2005
From:moderator
Subject:Needs refs on difference in Standard Arabic in different
countries

A speech and hearing pathology graduate student at the U. of Florida
has contacted me with the following question, which I throw out to you.
  If you send me the refs, I will see that she gets them.  The context
is trying to develop hearing tests for adults, and wondering whether
word lists read by a speaker from one country, even if read in
standard, would be valid for use in another country, given the slight
differences in stress rules, phonology, etc. that exist between the way
Standard Arabic is pronounced in the various countries.

Are there any references you would recommend regarding the issue of
difference in the use of standard Arabic in the different Arab
countries?