Arabic-L:GEN:Arabic tagger response;Arabic Linux query & response

Dilworth Parkinson dilworth_parkinson at byu.edu
Tue Jan 11 16:38:11 UTC 2005

1) Subject:Arabic tagger response;Arabic Linux query
2) Subject:Arabic Linux qresponse

Date: 11 Jan  2005
From:Andrew Freeman <andyf at u.washington.edu>
Subject:Arabic tagger response;Arabic Linux query

The sunos version of a segmenter, tagger, and assorted tools with source
ftp://www.innerbrat.org/segementTagDownload/BrillsTagger.121404.tar.gz

The windows version of same with source plus CMU language modeling
toolkit with source.
ftp://www.innerbrat.org/segementTagDownload/segNtag12142004.zip

Is there Arabic editing software for an English interface version of
linux??

By the way, does anybody know of any vendors marketing software to edit
and view Arabic text in linux or unix, that does not involve downloading
a completely Arabized build of the linux operating system?  This is sort
of in response to more than one group of people that I know who are most
comfortable working on linux systems.  I am also embarrassed to admit
that I do not know how to edit Arabic texts in linux, and I only know
how to view Arabic test on linux with a web browser.

I am aware of an Arabized linux OS at
http://www.arabian.arabicos.com/ar/modules/news/
http://www.arabian.arabicos.com/ar/modules/mydownloads

However, I am a little reluctant to devote an entire boot image (at
least), not to mention taking the day off (at best) to create that boot
image, just to view and edit Arabic text when it is so easy for me to
edit it in Windows or with my aging Mac and its puny 4 gig hard drive
and system 9.2.

Any pointers or ideas in this regard would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards,

Andrew Freeman, PhD (Arabic & Linguistics), BS Computer Science
Senior Artificial Intelligence Engineer
The Mitre Corporation
7525 Colshire Dr
MS H305