Arabic-L:PEDA:K-12 Arabic Teachers Qualifications

Dilworth Parkinson dilworth_parkinson at byu.edu
Tue Jan 11 16:38:15 UTC 2005

1) Subject:K-12 Arabic Teachers Qualifications

Date: 11 Jan  2005
From:Muhammad Eissa <eissa at comcast.net>
Subject:K-12 Arabic Teachers Qualifications

Salaam All;

	My current consulting activities brought me closer to educational
challenges of which many of us, in the higher educational institutions,
are
not aware. I am getting a closer look at the Arabic teaching status in
K-12
public and Islamic private schools.

	There are many challenges at different fronts in that area. One of
them is the question of what would be considered the minimum
qualifications
for an Arabic language teacher in such schools. I am mainly interested
in
getting your input regarding an Arabic language teacher in Islamic
schools
(In many cases such a teacher is also responsible for teaching
religion).
The current status in those schools with regard to WHO teaches, WHAT
they
teach and HOW they teach is simply "chaotic". Schools that are seriously
interested in improving their Arabic teaching programs are wondering:
who
would be a promising Arabic language teacher?

	Thank you in advance for your input and I hope, by helping those
schools, we contribute to raising the standard of the freshmen classes
of
Arabic in colleges.

Muhammad S. Eissa, Ph. D.
President, EISSA & ASSOCIATES, Inc.
Arabic and Islamic Consulting & Education
2020 Orrington Ave., Evanston, IL 60201
Ph. (847) 869-4775
Fax. (847) 869-4773
E.MAIL: eissa at comcast.net