Arabic-L:GEN:ME History and Theory Conference, U of Chicago

Dilworth Parkinson dilworth_parkinson at byu.edu
Wed Jan 19 22:53:17 UTC 2005

1) Subject:ME History and Theory Conference, U of Chicago

Date: 11 Jan  2005
From:Farouk Mustafa <fawm at uchicago.edu>
Subject:ME History and Theory Conference, U of Chicago

C A L L   F O R   P A P E R S

X X th   A N N U A L    M I D D L E  E A S T   H I S T O R Y
A N D   T H E O R Y   C O N F E R E N C E

(M A Y  1 3th & 1 4th ,  2 0 0 5)

The Middle East History and Theory Conference, held annually at the
University
of Chicago, provides a forum for students and faculty in the social
sciences
and humanities to present a variety of papers treating Middle Eastern
and
Central Asian art/architecture, literature, society, history and
politics
from
the 7th century to the present. The papers presented at the conference
are
organized in parallel panels grouped around intersecting topics of
interests.

This year, through the organization of panels and the keynote address by
Marilyn Booth (U.I.U.C.), the conference will also focus on the role of
literature and literary imagination in the writing of history. We
encourage
work that addresses or problematizes the divide between literary
narratives,
popular history, and academic history. Papers that tackle other themes
and
issues are welcome as usual. The opening address to the conference will
be
given by Hugh Kennedy (The University of St. Andrew's, Scotland),
author of
The Prophet and the Age of the Caliphate.

Graduate students are particularly urged to participate: both individual
papers and pre-arranged panels can be accommodated. The deadline for the
submission of a one-page abstract and curriculum vitae is FEBRUARY 28th.
Working papers must be received by APRIL 3rd. Please specify if
audio/visual
facilities are needed when submitting papers to:

Marya T. Green Mercado (mgreen1 at uchicago.edu)

The conference website can be reached at:
http://cas.uchicago.edu/workshops/mehat/conference.html