Arabic-L:LING:Needs early refs to terms 'colloquial' and 'ammiyah'

Tue Jul 5 19:41:57 UTC 2005

1) Subject:Needs early refs to terms 'colloquial' and 'ammiyah'

Date: 05 Jul  2005
From:farwaneh at email.arizona.edu
Subject:Needs early refs to terms 'colloquial' and 'ammiyah'

Hello everyone,

I wonder if any of you know the very first reference the term
"colloquial"

or its Arabic equivalent "`ammiyyah" first appeared in. I am reading
Al-Baghdadi and he refers to Arabic dialects as "lugha", which is best
interpreted as 'mother tongue"; as in "lughat bani tamiim" and "allugha
aTTaa'iyya", etc.

I do realize very well the political and religious ideology behind
the use

of the term 'colloquial/`ammiyyah" , but I need to specify the first
reference that first used the term.

many thanks for your input, and I will post a summary if I receive

Samira

Samira Farwaneh
Assistant Professor, Arabic Language and Linguistics
Department of Near Eastern Studies
Department of Linguistics
Second Language Acquisition and Teaching Program
Louise Foucar Marshall Building
845 N Park Avenue, Room 440
PO BOX 210158B
University of Arizona