Arabic-L:LING:Electronic Quran responses

Dilworth Parkinson dilworth_parkinson at byu.edu
Tue Jun 21 17:51:16 UTC 2005

1) Subject:Electronic Quran responses

Date: 21 Jun  2005
From:Dilworth Parkinson <dil at byu.edu>
Subject:Electronic Quran responses

I would like to thank all those who responded to my query about an
electronic version of the Quran.  I wasn't as specific as I should
have been.  Most of the responses (listed below) directed me to a web
site through which I could listen to, look at, or search the Quran on
that web site.  What I needed, however, was to be able to download
the text itself in an electronic file so that I could manipulate it
myself without having to use someone else's tools.  I was able to do
that with the one at the UofMichigan site.  Here are the responses:

eissa at comcast.net
Salaam Dil;
     The one I use, on a CD rom, is produced by Sakhr. It is supposed to
be reputable and reliable. One CD has two recitation and the text with
translation into English and some other languages as well. It
searchable and
hopefully will respond to your needs.
Salaam
Muhammad Eissa
Try this site.
http://www.quran.org.uk/
You also may contact Harf information technology who might be able to
help.
http://www.harf.com/support/patches/epatches.htm
     good luck
Salaam
Muhammad Eissa

jrodgers at umich.edu
You might try the compressed file at: http://www.muhaddith.org/
(decompressing it is a bit of a chore)
It contains the file ARQUR.TXT, which is quite good.  You can see it
slightly edited and converted to html at:
  http://www.lib.umich.edu/area/Near.East/QuranKarim11192002Unicode.html
Jonathan Rodgers

arabictutor at hotmail.com
Dear Di
Would http://www.altafsir.com/ be what you're after?
Best wishes,
Haroon

wasamy at umich.edu
Dil, the following are two sites I use the most.
Between them they include many features.  I have found that using
both is
better than using one.
Both enable cut and paste into a word processor.
Both appear to address the laa issue you mention if you copy text
from them
and paste it into a word processor.
I pasted al-Baqara from each into a Word document and found there to
be a
space following laa.
In the test search string I included a space **before and after** laa.
My work however with the Quran has not been corpus based, so I can't
address
your concerns in this respect.
http://quran.muslim-web.com/index.htm?
http://www.holyquran.net/quran/index.html
Waheed

ola4411 at yahoo.com
WWW.islamway.com for electronic verdion of Quran

amal_kandeel at yahoo.com
Dear Dilworth
       the following link is free-mistake and trusted. http://
www.reciter.org/